There's no better time to learn how to sew! And now you can learn from the comfort of your own home. Learn to Sew Lab is currently only being offered virtually At Home with Live Video Instruction 4 times per year.
Megan will teach you how to sew LIVE on zoom, using high quality video lessons, answering all your questions along the way.
This beginner sewing class will teach you how to sew in a series of 4 weekly classes (2 hours each). In this series of classes you'll complete two beginner sewing projects, a messenger bag and some lounge pants. The instruction is jam packed with information and will leave you a confident stitcher & ready to take on more sewing projects.
Upon sign up for the class, students will receive an email with class login instructions. You'll also receive access to a password protected personalized student web page. This page will include complimentary PDF copies of the patterns & step-by-step instructions for each of the projects worked on in class.
All class instruction is recorded and can be easily accessed during the class and beyond. You'll also have access to helpful on-demand sewing videos.
This beginner sewing class will go over threading the machine, threading the bobbin, winding the bobbin & operating the machine properly.
However, if you've never done this before on your own and don't feel confident doing it independently, we highly suggest signing up for a 45 Minute Sewing Machine Operators License Private (Video) Lesson .
You'll learn the following specific concepts and skills each week of this class:
- Intro to the sewing machine and basic sewing
- Putting together and cutting out sewing pattern
- Learning to thread and operate the sewing machine properly
- Right side vs. wrong side of fabric
- Cutting fabric for messenger bag.
- Learning about stitch length and width.
- Review of sewing machine usage & mastery of threading & filling bobbin.
- Sew messenger bag, bag gussets, putting in lining and straps.
- Taking hip measurements and determining Lounge Pants sizing.
- Cut out sewing pattern for Lounge Pants
- Cut out fabric for lounge pants.
- Sewing pants legs
- Inserting elastic in the waist band of lounge pants.
- Work on fitting the lounge pants.
- Hemming & finishing lounge pants.
Tools & Supplies Needed:
Supplies for this class are not included. You'll need to purchase the following supplies prior to the class starting.
If you'd like to purchase the Starter Kit for this class where all supplies are included, click here.
Tools Needed for this At Home Sewing Class:
- Sewing machine
- Polyester Sewing Machine Thread
- Marking tool that shows up on your fabric (pencils, colored pencils or pens usually work)
- Computer printer
- Scotch tape
- Printer paper
- Ruler and/or tape measure
- Seam ripper
- Large Safety Pin
Messenger Bag Supplies Needed:
- 3/4 yard heavyweight cotton fabric or denim
- 3/4 yard lightweight cotton fabric for lining
- 3/4 yard medium weight interfacing (optional if you'd like to reinforce your fabric)
Pajama Bottoms Supplies Needed:
- 3 Yards of light weight cotton fabric (quilters cotton) or cotton flannel
- Please nothing stretchy - trust me, it's tricky for a first time sewing project.
- If possible, choose a fabric that looks different on the front and back. Will make things a little easier.
- 1.25 Yards of 3/4" wide elastic
"The class is lighthearted and Megan is infinitely patient."
Ilene G, New Jersey
"It was great! Great instructions. I especially liked having class recorded so I could back again to see each step. I plan on taking more classes."
Noreen G. - Austin TX