There's no better time to learn how to sew! And now you can learn to sew things *for* your home, *from* your home. Crazy, right?
Home Decor Lab is currently only being offered virtually At Home with Live Video Instruction. Our experienced sewing instructors will teach you how using high quality video lessons with a live instructor answering your questions along the way.
This is a 4-Week sewing class where the focus will be on learning how to make things that will make your home even more beautiful than it already is.
This class is great for all levels of sewing. Beginners and intermediate stitchers alike will find themselves challenged and learning new things in this course.
Projects in this Class include a bedroom pillow case, a round bolster pillow cover with zipper (with optional piping), a pouf floor cushion (with optional fabric covered buttons) & quilted table runner/placemats/potholder.
Upon sign up for the class, students will receive an email with class login instructions. You'll also receive access to a password protected personalized student web page. This page will include complimentary PDF copies of the patterns & step-by-step instructions for each of the projects worked on in class.
All class instruction is recorded and can be easily accessed during the class and beyond. You'll also have access to helpful on-demand sewing videos.
This beginner sewing class will go over threading the machine, threading the bobbin, winding the bobbin & operating the machine properly.
However, if you've never done this before on your own and don't feel confident doing it independently, we highly suggest signing up for a 45 Minute Sewing Machine Operators License Private (Video) Lesson .
Week 1 Project: Bedroom Pillow Case with French Seams
- Cutting & measuring accurately.
- The magic of french seams.
- Sewing your pillowcase
Week 2 Project: Bolster pillow with piping and zipper
- Understanding and learning how to cut fabric on the bias.
- Learn to create your own matching piping.
- Mastering the technique of adding piping to any of your sewing projects.
Week 3 Project: Quilted Table Runner/Placemat/Potholder
- Introduction to patchwork.
- Working with quilt batting.
- Using a regular sewing machine to do small scale quilting work.
Week 4 Project: Pouf Floor Cushion
- Patchwork (non-square)
- Working with Interfacing
- Optional: Covered Buttons
Please note, supplies for this class are not included.
If you'd like to purchase the Starter Kit for this class where all supplies are included, click here.
- 3/4 Yard Quilters Cotton for Body of pillow
- 1/4 Yard Quilter Cotton (matching other fabrics) for pillow cuff
- 1/4 Yard Quilters Cotton (matching other fabrics) for pillow band
- Matching thread
Bolster Pillow - Suggested Size 16" x 6"
- 3/4 Yard Quilters Cotton, Linen, Home Decor weight or something similar for bolster pillow project.
- 1 Yard of cotton piping (1/2" or 1/4" thick will work) for bolster pillow project.
- 16" Zipper
- Bolster Pillow Insert
- Matching thread
- At least four different fat quarter fabrics that go together. More if making large table runner or multiple placemats.
- 1 Yard of quilt batting. More if making large table runner or multiple placemats.
- Matching thread
Pouf Floor Cushion
- 2 Yards total of cotton or upholstery fabric (or something similar)
Can be a combination of multiple fabrics to equal 2 yards total
- 2 Yards of muslin or soft interfacing
- 5 Pounds Polyfil Stuffing
Tools Needed for At Home Sewing Classes:
- Sewing machine
- Polyester Sewing Machine Thread
- Marking tool that shows up on your fabric (pencils, colored pencils or pens usually work)
- Computer printer
- Scotch tape
- Printer paper
- Ruler and/or tape measure
- Seam ripper