The Knitwear Lab is currently only being offered virtually At Home with Live Video Instruction. Our experienced sewing instructors will teach you how using high quality video lessons with a live instructor answering your questions along the way.
This is a 4-Week sewing class where the focus will be on learning how to make things with knit (stretchy) fabric
Projects in this class include a T Shirt & Leggings.
This class is not recommended for complete beginners. We ask that you have a little bit of experience sewing before you sign up for this one.
Upon sign up for the class, students will receive an email with class login instructions. You'll also receive access to a password protected personalized student web page. This page will include complimentary PDF copies of the patterns & step-by-step instructions for each of the projects worked on in class.
All class instruction is recorded and can be easily accessed during the class and beyond. You'll also have access to helpful on-demand sewing videos.
This beginner sewing class will go over threading the machine, threading the bobbin, winding the bobbin & operating the machine properly.
However, if you've never done this before on your own and don't feel confident doing it independently, we highly suggest signing up for a 45 Minute Sewing Machine Operators License Private (Video) Lesson .
- Class 1: Print, tape and cut patterns. Knitwear Primer. Taking Measurements. Cut out fabric for T-Shirt & begin to sew.
- Class 2: Review sewing with Knits, Finish up sewing T-Shirt, Neckline and Hem for T-Shirt.
- Class 3: Cut out Leggings Pattern, Sewing Leggings.
- Class 4: Leggings waistband & hem. Finish up Leggings
Please note, supplies for this class are not included.
If you'd like to purchase the Starter Kit for this class where all supplies are included, click here.
- 1 1/2 Yards of knit fabric like cotton jersey. Check to make sure it has at least 50% 2-way stretch, 4-way stretch is preferred. Make sure you pre-wash the fabric.
- Ball Point Sewing Machine Needle and/or Stretch Sewing Machine Needle
- Walking Foot - Helpful but not necessary
- Sewing machine
- Polyester Sewing Machine Thread
- Marking tool that shows up on your fabric (pencils, colored pencils or pens usually work)
- Sewing Pins
- Iron & Ironing Board
- Computer, Tablet, Laptop - To view classes & print patterns
- Computer printer - To print your patterns
- Scotch tape - To tape your patterns together
- Printer paper
- Ruler and/or tape measure
- Seam ripper