Instructions to Make Masks:
Cut your fabrics. 2 pieces measuring - 9"wide x 6" tall for adults
- 7.5" wide x 5" tall for kids
Also cut two 7" pieces of elastic cord (make knots at the end) or thin (1/8") flat elastic.
Sew one end of one elastic to one corner of one of your fabrics (doesn't matter which one). Backstitch across it a couple of times. Stretch it across the shorter side and sew the other end to the other corner. Backstitch across it a couple or times.
Do the same with the other piece of elastic on the other side of the fabric.
Place your remaining fabric piece on top so right sides are touching. Pin the two pieces together.
Sew around the entire thing using 1/2" seam allowance, but leave a 4" opening on the bottom to turn it right side out.
Turn the whole thing right side out and tuck in the raw edges.
Secure the opening with pins .
Make 3 small pleats in each side and secure with pins.
Using 1/4" seam allowance sew around the entire edge twice.
Couple things to keep in mind when sewing your masks:
- Use tightly-woven cotton fabric for both layers of fabric.
- If you don't have actual fabric to make, clean cotton button down shirts work.
- Please remember that both women and men, as well as boys and girls may wear these masks.
- Pre-wash your fabric, if you can.
- Sew them sturdy, people! Don't forget to backstitch!
- For patterns and instructions on making masks, see above.