Ever wanted to learn how to design and create your very own handbags, totes & purses? This class will show you how. You'll learn all the design & sewing secrets behind making your own bags with all the pockets, zippers & straps you can dream up!
Bag Lab is currently being offered virtually At Home with Live Video Instruction. Our experienced sewing instructors will teach you how using high quality video lessons with a live instructor answering your questions along the way.
In this class, we'll be making:
- Zippered cosmetic bag
- Reversible shopper tote
Upon sign up for the class, students will receive an email with class login instructions. You'll also receive access to a password protected personalized student web page. This page will include complimentary PDF copies of the patterns & step-by-step instructions for each of the projects worked on in class.
All class instruction is recorded and can be easily accessed during the class and beyond. You'll also have access to helpful on-demand sewing videos.
This beginner sewing class will go over threading the machine, threading the bobbin, winding the bobbin & operating the machine properly.
However, if you've never done this before on your own and don't feel confident doing it independently, we highly suggest signing up for a 45 Minute Sewing Machine Operators License Private (Video) Lesson .
In this 3 week workshop you'll learn the following:
- How to construct the bag exterior & lining using different shape variations.
- How to work with different materials including interfacings, different weights of bag making fabrics, even some faux leather & faux suede.
- How to add pockets (zippered, open, flaps, etc) where you want them.
- Techniques for different types of closures (zippers, snaps, buttons, velcro, etc.)
- Adding straps & handles.
Please note, supplies for this class are not included.
If you'd like to purchase supplies from us click here.
Zippered Cosmetic Bags (2 sizes)
- 1/2 yard of of lightweight cotton (quilters cotton) for bag outside
- 1/2 yard of of lightweight cotton (quilters cotton) for bag lining
- 2 Regular Zippers (not invisible) at least 14” long
Reversible Shopper Tote
- 3/4 yard of cotton fabric or something similar for bag outside
- 3/4 yard of cotton fabric or something similar for bag lining
- 1 yard of cotton, denim or upholstery fabric for outside of backpack and straps
- 18” long zipper (or longer) for backpack
- 12” long zipper (or longer) for backpack pocket
- Two 1” wide D-rings
- Two 1” wide slide buckles
- Sewing machine
- Polyester Sewing Machine Thread
- Marking tool that shows up on your fabric (pencils, colored pencils or pens usually work)
- Sewing Pins
- Iron & Ironing Board
- Computer, Tablet, Laptop - To view classes & print patterns
- Computer printer - To print your patterns
- Scotch tape - To tape your patterns together
- Printer paper
- Ruler and/or tape measure
- Seam ripper