Dress Lab is currently being offered virtually At Home with Live Video Instruction. Our experienced sewing instructors will teach you how to sew using high quality video lessons. The instructor is working with you live each week, answering your questions along the way.
Learn all the basics of sewing a beautiful dress that fits you in our 3-week video class. We've designed a sewing class that will take your skills to the next level. This is a sewing course designed for ambitious beginners & sewing students who have had some basic experience.
Upon sign up for the class, students will receive an email with class login instructions. You'll also receive access to a password protected personalized student web page. This page will include complimentary PDF copies of the patterns & step-by-step instructions for each of the projects worked on in class.
All class instruction is recorded and can be easily accessed during the class and beyond. You'll also have access to helpful on-demand sewing videos.
This beginner sewing class will go over threading the machine, threading the bobbin, winding the bobbin & operating the machine properly.
However, if you've never done this before on your own and don't feel confident doing it independently, we highly suggest signing up for a 45 Minute Sewing Machine Operators License Private (Video) Lesson .
Class 1: Take measurements, Print, tape & cut out pattern. Cut out dress. Stay stitching & darts on bodice.
Class 2: Finish up dress bodice & lining. Begin Skirt & darts.
Class 3: Zipper, Hem & Finish up dress.
- Main Fabric: 2.5 yards of 60" wide or 3 yards of 44" wide lightweight fabrics such as silk or rayon crepe, shirtings, lawn, silk twill, light wool gabardine, wool crepe.
- Lining Fabric: 1.5 yards of 44" or 60" wide cotton lawn, cotton batiste, silk or rayon crepe, silk/cotton blends, specialty lining fabrics.
- All-purpose polyester thread
- 22" zipper
- One hook and eye
- Hand-sewing needle
We do not own the rights to the dress pattern we're using for this class.
You must purchase & download the Phoebe Pattern directly from Seamwork.
- Sewing machine
- Polyester Sewing Machine Thread
- Marking tool that shows up on your fabric (pencils, colored pencils or pens usually work)
- Sewing Pins
- Iron & Ironing Board
- Computer, Tablet, Laptop - To view classes & print patterns
- Computer printer - To print your patterns
- Scotch tape - To tape your patterns together
- Printer paper
- Ruler and/or tape measure
- Seam ripper