Dress Lab is currently being offered virtually At Home with Live Video Instruction. Our experienced sewing instructors will teach you how to sew using high quality video lessons. The instructor is working with you live each week, answering your questions along the way.
Learn all the basics of sewing a beautiful dress that fits you in our 3-week live video class. We've designed a sewing class that will take your skills to the next level. This is a sewing course designed for ambitious beginners & sewing students who have had some basic experience. Project Pattern for this class is the Elodie Dress from Closet Case patterns.
Upon sign up for the class, students will receive an email with class login instructions. You'll also receive access to a password protected personalized student web page. This page will include everything you need to take the class.
All class instruction is recorded and can be easily accessed during the class and beyond. You'll also have access to helpful on-demand sewing videos.
This beginner sewing class will go over threading the machine, threading the bobbin, winding the bobbin & operating the machine properly.
However, if you've never done this before on your own and don't feel confident doing it independently, we highly suggest signing up for a 45 Minute Sewing Machine Operators License Private (Video) Lesson .
Before first class, please take your own measurements, print, tape (if needed) & cut out pattern for the size you'll be making.
Class 1: Cut out dress fabric. Stay stitching & darts.
Class 2: Sew bodice facing, sew bodice, hem sleeves.
Class 3: Sew skirt, pockets, waistband and belt. Hem & finish up dress.
- Elodie Dress Pattern from Closet Case patterns
You must purchase a printed copy or download this pattern directly from the designer. Pattern goes up to a size 20.
- Type of Fabric: Light to medium weight wovens like linen, cotton poplin, batiste, voile and chambray for a more casual look. Use silk, viscose, tencel or rayon challis for a more elegant or fluid effect.
- Fabric amount chart - Check here for fabric amounts needed for the version you'd like to make.
- 3/4 yard of 45" wide interfacing
- Polyester Threading in matching color
- Sewing machine
- Polyester Sewing Machine Thread
- Marking tool that shows up on your fabric (pencils, colored pencils or pens usually work)
- Sewing Pins
- Iron & Ironing Board
- Point turning tool. Safety pin, knitting needle or chopstick will work.
- Computer, Tablet, Laptop - To view classes & print patterns
- Computer printer - To print your patterns
- Scotch tape - To tape your patterns together
- Printer paper
- Ruler and/or tape measure
- Seam ripper